Home College Catalog Admissions, Registration, & Records

Admissions, Registration, & Records


Vance-Granville Community College maintains an “open door” admissions policy. Placement of students in certain academic curriculum programs of instruction is selective and all students are required to be high school or High School Equivalency (HSE) graduates. The College serves all individuals who can benefit from instruction, regardless of race, creed, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability or other non-relevant factors.

Based on RISE criteria (Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence) , assessment of high school transcripts, post-secondary transcripts or standardized tests will be used to determine an applicant’s readiness to enroll into specific college-level courses. When an assessment indicates a lack of college readiness, the applicant will be placed into transition courses. Academic advising is required prior to registering for curriculum degree, diploma, or certificate courses. (See Student Assessment and Placement Testing section for further explanation of RISE criteria.)

To Top of Page


  1. Complete NC residency determination at RDS (Residency Determination Services) http://www.ncresidency.org/ .
  2. Submit a completed Application for Admissions at  https://www.vgcc.edu/how-to-apply/.
  3. Complete the New Student Orientation.
  4. Submit official transcripts of secondary education (high school). Students entering a program of study have up to one semester of attendance to submit their official high school transcript. No financial aid will be awarded until all admissions requirements are met, including receipt of all secondary education transcripts. (Students who have graduated from institutions outside the United States must document completion of a nationally recognized secondary school diploma). Submit official post-secondary (college) transcripts if:
    • You desire to have your post-secondary transcript(s) evaluated for possible transfer credit. (See Transfer Admissions section);
    • You plan to use Veteran’s Educational benefits. The Veteran’s Administration requires an official copy of all post-secondary transcripts be on file with the College;
    • You plan to participate in Athletics at the college
  5. Take placement testing if needed as indicated through the assessment of high school transcripts, post-secondary transcripts and standardized testing based on RISE criteria. (See Student Assessment and Placement Testing section .)
  6. Meet with an Academic Advisor.

Note #1: Students who have an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university are not required to submit high school transcripts. An official College or University transcript is required to document the degree earned. (Exception: Students who plan to use Veteran’s Educational benefits, and students who plan to participate in Athletics at the College must submit high school transcripts.)

Note #2: An official transcript is one that is mailed directly from the previous high school, college or university to Vance-Granville Community College, is submitted by the applicant in an officially sealed envelope from the educational institution, or is submitted electronically from the educational institution.
To Top of Page


Selective admissions are used for programs of study that have limited openings. In addition to the standard procedures required of all applicants, students seeking enrollment in Associate Degree Nursing, Associate Degree Nursing LPN to ADN Transition, Cosmetology Instructor, Histotechnology, Medical Assisting, Pharmacy Technology, Practical Nursing, Radiography and RIBN must meet specific departmental requirements. For selection to specific programs of study, students should direct inquiries to the appropriate Academic Advisor.

Selective Admissions Procedures

  1. Applicants must qualify on placement examinations as prescribed by the program of the academic program.
  2. Applicants must meet secondary school or post-secondary course requirements as established for specific programs of study.
  3. After all admissions requirements have been met by the applicant, official admission is contingent upon proof of satisfactory physical health as required by regulatory agencies.
  4. Final selection will be determined by the number of openings in the program of study and by the applicant’s evaluation and ranking.
  5. Successful clinical placement requires a “clean” criminal background check conducted and reviewed by the clinical site.

To Top of Page


The student who has successfully completed courses at other postsecondary institutions must adhere to the same procedures as an incoming freshman. The student is responsible for submitting an application for admission and official transcripts of previous educational experience as stated under the General Admissions Procedures section. (An official transcript is one that is mailed directly from the previous high school, college or university to Vance-Granville Community College, is submitted by the applicant in an officially sealed envelope from the educational institution, or is submitted electronically from the educational institution.)

Upon receipt, official transcripts from accredited, post-secondary institutions will be evaluated by the Registrar’s Office in accordance with the following statements:

  1. Transfer credit may not exceed 75 percent of the total credit hours required to complete the desired program of study.
  2. All credit to be transferred must be equivalent in credit hours and content to course offerings at Vance-Granville Community College.
  3. No grade lower than a “C” will be will be transferred.
  4. Applicants to the selective admissions Health Sciences programs must have completed BIO-prefix classes within 10 years prior to date of enrollment in the selective program. The transfer of all MED-, NUR-, PHM-,and RAD-prefix classes are subject to time restrictions determined by each department as outlined in the program-specific admissions documentation.
  5. The transfer of all CCT-, CIS-, CSC-, CTI-, CTS-, DBA-, NET-, NOS-, OST-, SEC-, SGD-, and WEB-prefix classes completed more than 5 years prior to a student’s enrollment in any Computer Education and Office Administration related programs of study are subject to approval by the Academic Dean due to the rapid technological changes in those areas of study.
  6. The transfer of Cosmetology (COS) hours and performances is limited to the State Board mandated 5 year expiration rule and the passing of a State board required entrance exam. Cosmetology hours expire 5 years from the date of enrollment at which time they become void or invalid and will no longer be eligible for transfer.
  7. Transfer credit will not influence the student’s quality point average or grade point average, and will not be evaluated in graduation honors or awards. Transfer credit is recorded on the VGCC transcript with a grade of “TR.”
  8. Students with questions regarding transfer credit should contact the Registrar’s Students have a right to appeal transfer credit decisions to the appropriate Academic Dean.

To Top of Page


Students who transfer from Vance-Granville Community College to an accredited four-year institution prior to completing their associate degree, may transfer credit from the four-year institution back to VGCC for review of degree completion.

To be eligible for reverse transfer consideration, a student must follow the same transfer credit requirements as outlined in the Transfer Admissions section of the catalog, including submitting official college transcripts.

Official transcripts may be sent to the VGCC Records Office by mail at PO Box 917 Henderson, NC 27536 or sent electronically to records@vgcc.edu . Students who submit their transcripts for reverse transfer consideration should contact the Registrar’s Office to ensure the transcript is evaluated accordingly.

For more information on the reverse transfer program, please visit the University of North Carolina Reverse Transfer information page at https://www.northcarolina.edu/reversetransfer .
To Top of Page


A student who previously attended VGCC but has not enrolled for a period of one year or more must submit a new application for admission and may need to update residency classification through RDS. Applicants must complete the regular admissions requirements as stated under the General Admissions Procedures. Students who have not attended in the last 3 years or more must complete New Student Orientation.

A former student will not be readmitted until all former and current indebted obligations to any program or activity under the administrative jurisdiction of the College have been satisfied.

Students seeking readmission into Health Sciences programs must meet additional requirements. Students may contact the Health Sciences Admissions Coordinator for details concerning these requirements.
To Top of Page


Credits earned at Vance-Granville Community College under the quarter system (prior to the fall of 1997) were converted to semester hours and are reflected on the student’s college transcript. In order to count towards a current program of study, the course(s) taken under the quarter system must be equivalent in credit hours and content to an existing VGCC semester credit course(s).

Previous courses taken under the quarter system that meet this criteria may be reviewed by the appropriate program head or department chair to ensure they meet the academic requirements of the discipline and current industry standards. If all requirements are met, the program head or department chair should submit a Course Substitution form for approval of academic credit.
To Top of Page


Admission of Undocumented Immigrants:

Based on the NC Community Colleges State Board Code (SBCCC), community colleges shall admit undocumented immigrants under the following conditions:

  1. Community Colleges shall admit an undocumented immigrant only if he or  she attended and graduated from a Unit ed States public high school, private high school or home school  that operates in  compliance with State  or  local   law;
  2. When determining who is an undocumented immigrant, community colleges shall use federal immigration classifications;
  3. Undocumented immigrants admitted under Subparagraph (b)(1) of this Rule shall comply with all federal and state laws concerning financial aid;
  4. An undocumented immigrant admitted under Subparagraph (b)(1) of this Rule shall not be considered a North Carolina resident for tuition Colleges shall charge all undocumented immigrants admitted under Subparagraph (b)(1) of this Rule out-of-state tuition whether or not the undocumented immigrant resides in North Carolina;
  5. When considering whether to admit an undocumented immigrant into a specific program of study, community colleges shall take into account that federal law prohibits states from granting professional licenses to undocumented immigrants; and
  6. Students lawfully present in the United States shall have priority over any undocumented immigrant in any  class or program of study when  capacity  limitations  exist. This procedure is in keeping with SBCC 1D 400.1 (b).

In order to comply with these regulations, undocumented immigrant students should follow the same admission and residency classification procedures as all other students, but will not be allowed to register for classes through myVGCC (the student portal) or during any early registration period. Instead all students classified as undocumented immigrants should bring their completed registration forms to the Registrar to be held until the end of registration. After the close of registration, undocumented immigrant students will be registered into any available classes. This procedure is in keeping with the State Board of Community Colleges Code 1D SBCCC 400.1.
To Top of Page

Visiting (Non-degree Seeking) Students:

Students not seeking a certificate, diploma, or associate degree may enroll as a visiting student for a maximum of twelve (12) semester hours of credit. Students enrolled in this status are not required to take the placement test for enrollment into curriculum courses that do not have prerequisites and do not have to meet the transcript requirements for curriculum programs. Visiting students must take the placement test in order to enroll into courses which have prerequisite requirements.

Students classified as “visiting” are ineligible to receive most types of financial aid. Students who plan to take more than twelve (12) semester hours of credit must take the placement test, complete the regular admission requirements, and declare an academic program of study.
To Top of Page

Career and College Promise (CCP)

Career and College Promise Programs offer structured opportunities for qualified high school students to pursue one of three pathways. A brief description of each pathway is listed below. For more detailed information and application procedures please visit the High School Students website at https://www.vgcc.edu/high-school/ .

  1. College Transfer (CTP) The College Transfer Pathway is designed for high school juniors and seniors who wish to begin study toward an Associate degree and a baccalaureate degree. The transfer pathways are a structured set of courses in the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) between the University of North Carolina (UNC) and the North Carolina Community College System, leading to completion of the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Teacher Preparation or Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts degree. All courses in which the student earns a grade of “C” or better will transfer to the UNC universities upon the student’s acceptance. These courses may also count as high school credit at the discretion of the high school administration.
  2. Career Technical Education (CTE) Pathway. The Career Technical Education Pathway is designed for high school juniors and seniors who wish to begin the pathway towards completion of a credential prior to graduating high school. Students can choose one of many approved areas of study in which they can pursue courses that can lead to certificate, diploma, or a state or industry recognized credential, and increased employment opportunities. These courses may also count as high school credit at the discretion of the high school administration. Freshmen and sophomores may participate in certain CTE pathways as designated by the College.
  3. Cooperative Innovative High School Program. VGCC Cooperative Innovative High School Programs take the form of Early College High Schools and are located on or near the college’s Students enrolled in these programs can concurrently obtain a high school diploma and begin or complete an associate degree program or earn up to two years of college credit within five years. The application process to apply to one of these schools begins in middle school and is conducted by the Local Education Agency (LEA). To obtain additional information about our early college high school partnerships please visit our website. Application information and procedures can be obtained through your servicing LEA.

To Top of Page


As of July 1, 2021, Vance-Granville Community College is no longer admitting new international students or issuing I-20 forms.  Currently enrolled international students are allowed to complete their authorized degree programs. 

International students living abroad may pursue online degree programs.  All domestic applicants must be US citizens, permanent residents or hold a nonimmigrant visa or immigration status that allows post-secondary studies to enter a degree program.  See the previous section on Admissions Under Special Conditions for additional information. 
To Top of Page


Effective January 2020, Vance Granville Community College will admit students based on the criteria outlined by RISE (Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence). Students enrolling for the first time at VGCC that have graduated from a United States High School within the last 10 years will be placed into their gateway English and Math courses based on the following criteria:

  • Students with a 2.8 unweighted High School Grade Point Average or higher will be eligible to go directly into their required gateway courses with no required corequisite.
  • Students with a 2.2-2.79 unweighted grade point average will be eligible to go directly into their required gateway courses with a corequisite.
  • Students with 2.199 or lower unweighted grade point average will be enrolled in a one semester transition English and transition Math course.

Students that graduated ten years ago or longer will be required to take the RISE placement tests. Test scores are valid for ten years. Students that are required to test will be notified by the Admissions office during Orientation. Students may retest on each level of the RISE placement test once for math and once for English. Acceptable ACT, SAT, GED or HISET test scores may also be used to place students into gateway Math and English courses. Students completing an Adult High School Diploma program are required to take RISE placement testing.

Students enrolled in certificate programs that do not require college level Math or English coursework are exempt from testing and enrollment in transition or co-requisite courses while enrolled in the certificate program. Students that enroll in diploma or degree programs that require college level English and Math coursework must enroll and complete all required transition and co-requisite courses unless exempt based on RISE criteria. Associate or Bachelor degree recipients from an accredited U.S. college or university are exempt from co-requisite and transition courses and may enroll directly into any required gateway English and Math courses.

Students who previously tested into DRE or DMA within the last 10 years, will receive credit for coursework that has been taken and successfully passed. The transition English and Math courses are ENG 002 and MAT 003 .

ENG 002 has two tiers

  • Tier 1-Roughly equivalent to DRE 096-097 reflected by a P1 grade
  • Tier 2-Roughly equivalent to DRE 096-098 reflected by a P2 grade

MAT 003 has three tiers

  • Tier 1-Roughly equivalent to DMA 10-30 reflected by a P1 grade
  • Tier 2-Roughly equivalent to DMA 10-50 reflected by a P2 grade
  • Tier 3-Roughly equivalent to DMA 10-80 reflected by a P3 grade

Students returning within the last year must see an advisor to determine their English and Math requirements. Returning students who have not been enrolled for a period of a year or more must submit a new application for admission and may need to update residency classification through RDS. Returning students must see an advisor to determine their English and Math requirements.
To Top of Page


Placement testing sessions are available at Franklin, Main, and South campuses during a variety of times to accommodate students. If students plan to attend the Warren campus please email the testing center to make arrangements. The testing center also offers remote placement testing as well. Placement testing appointments may be scheduled after an Application for Admission is received by the College. Applicants who may need special accommodations should contact the Counselor/Advisor for Disability Services prior to their scheduled test date. For more information, including how to prepare for placement testing, please visit the Testing Center website at https://www.vgcc.edu/testing-services/placement-testing . A valid photo ID is required for all testing.

VGCC’s Main, South, and Franklin Campuses all have approved Pearson VUE Testing Centers. These testing centers accommodate all VGCC testing requirements and may provide proctoring services by appointment for a nominal fee. Warren County Campus provides limited testing options including placment testing for curriculum classes. For contact information and directions, please visit our website at https://www.vgcc.edu/testing-services/vgcc-testing-locations .
To Top of Page


In 2013 the NC General Assembly legislatively directed UNC General Administration (GA), the NC Community College System (NCCCS), the NC State Education Assistance Authority (SEAA) and the NC Independent Colleges and Universities (NCICU) to create a centralized, uniform process for determining residency for tuition purposes and for administration of state financial aid. This centralized process is known as the Residency Determination Service (RDS). In order for a student to receive the benefits of in-state tuition a residency determination from RDS is required as part of admission or readmission to the college.

Determining Residency Status

The specific requirements for establishing residency for tuition classification purposes are prescribed by state law. A North Carolina resident for tuition purposes is a person, or a dependent person (dependent according to IRS tax code), whose parent or legal guardian has established and maintained legal residence in North Carolina for at least 12 months. Residence in North Carolina must be legitimate and be a permanent situation rather than just for the purpose of maintaining a residence prior to enrollment at an institution of higher education.

Under North Carolina law, to qualify for in-state tuition, you must show that:

  • You have established your legal residence (domicile) in North Carolina
  • You have maintained that domicile for at least twelve (12) consecutive months before the beginning of the academic term or semester
  • You have a residentiary presence in the state
  • You intend to make North Carolina your permanent home indefinitely (rather than being in North Carolina solely to attend college)

Other persons not meeting the 12-month legal residence requirement may be classified as North Carolina residents for tuition purposes only if they fall within one of the limited categories authorized by the North Carolina Legislature. All other persons are ineligible for classification as a North Carolina “resident for tuition purposes” and will be charged out-of-state tuition. To learn more about residency and complete a determination go to http://www.NCresidency.org or contact RDS at: 844-319-3640, 919-835-2290, or 919-835-2427 (fax).
To Top of Page


Registration is the process of enrolling in a schedule of courses or a program at the beginning of each term or at other specified times. Enrollment in a course is determined by proper registration and subsequent payment for that course.
To Top of Page

New Students

For registration purposes, “new students” are defined as those students who are enrolling at VGCC for the first time. New students should:

  1. Complete an Application for Admission and apply for financial aid as early as possible (2 to 3 months before the start of classes);
  2. Complete residency classification as explained in previous section;
  3. Complete New Student Orientation;
  4. Complete placement testing as defined under Student Assessment and Placement Testing;
  5. Schedule an appointment to meet with their academic advisor;
  6. Register on the designated registration dates;
  7. Obtain a student I.D. and parking permit; and
  8. Complete the registration process by paying tuition and fees

To Top of Page

Returning Students

For registration purposes “returning students” are defined as those students who are currently enrolled or who have been previously enrolled during the last year in the same academic program. Returning students may be eligible for priority registration and are encouraged to preregister with their academic advisor for the following term as soon as notification is given. Returning students need to follow steps 5 through 7 listed above (under New Students section.) Students must reapply for financial aid every year by March or April to ensure that funding is in place in time for registration.
To Top of Page

Change of Academic Program

There are times when a student’s aptitude and interests may be better served by a change of academic program. A student who is considering a change from one program to another must meet with an Academic Advisor to explore the possibilities and implications of such a change, and complete a Change of Academic Program form. Students should consider carefully before changing their academic program, and are discouraged from changing more than once per year. Academic program changes received after the published census date of each semester or term will not take affect until the next academic semester or term. The College reserves the right to evaluate academic program changes on a case by case basis.

Veterans should consult with the Veterans’ Officer before making a change; the Department of Veterans Affairs will not pay for some types of training.

Note: Federal financial aid regulations require that all hours taken in all programs will be counted toward the maximum allowed for payment. (See the Financial Information section for a complete explanation.)
To Top of Page

Readmission of Students

A student who previously attended Vance-Granville Community College but was not enrolled for a period of one year or more must submit  a new application for admission and may need to update residency classification through RDS. If the applicant was enrolled in another college during the interval, he/she should request that college to send an official transcript of academic work to the Admissions/Records Office if transfer credit is expected. Students need to complete steps 1 through 7 listed above (under New Students section).
To Top of Page

Drop and Add

Courses may be added during the registration dates and published drop/add dates at the beginning of each term. During the Add/Drop period students may drop classes through myVGCC (the student portal), but must see an advisor to add classes. If classes are not dropped and added during the same session a 25% financial penalty may be imposed. (See note #1 below.)

Note #1: If a course is dropped before the first day of the semester or term, students will receive a 100% refund. If the course is dropped on or after the first day of the semester or term, but before the census date, students are eligible for a 75% refund of tuition, but will owe 25% of the tuition and 100% of fees. After the census date, students are not eligible for a refund and will be awarded a grade on their academic transcript.

Note #2: Adding or dropping a class may affect the financial aid award and/or result in a financial penalty.
To Top of Page


Withdrawal from a course(s) takes place after the refund period or census date of the term and on or before the 75% point of the term, and will be recorded as a “W” grade on the student’s permanent transcript. A withdrawal will only be processed if the student or faculty initiates and properly completes the withdrawal process by the required deadline.  To request withdrawal from a course, a student should email his or her instructor using the VGCC issued email address and request to be withdrawn from the class, and provide a brief explanation of the reason for the withdrawal. The faculty member will submit the online Withdrawal Form for the student and will receive a confirmation email. The withdrawal form is processed by the Registrar’s Office and the student will be removed from the class within 48 business hours.

There is no academic penalty for a “W” grade; however, for federal financial aid purposes, “W” grades may count as hours attempted but not earned. Any student who is receiving Veteran’s benefits should check with the Veterans’ Officer prior to withdrawing from any course since benefits will not be paid for a “W” grade.

Note: If a course is dropped before the first day of the semester or term, students will receive a 100% refund. If the course is dropped on or after the first day of the semester or term, but before the census date, students are eligible for a 75% refund of tuition, but will owe 25% of the tuition and 100% of fees. After the census date, students are not eligible for a refund and will be awarded a grade on their academic transcript.
To Top of Page

Class Cancellation Policy

Vance-Granville Community College reserves the right to cancel any class due to low registration and/or attendance. Students are refunded 100% of tuition and fees when a class is cancelled.
To Top of Page

Request for W Grade after the 75% Point

A student can petition in writing for a “W” Grade to the Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement & Success after the 75% point of a term, if mitigating circumstances warrant. Approval can only be granted with permission of the instructor, academic dean and Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement & Success. The burden of explanation and documentation of mitigating circumstances lies with the student. Students should obtain the appropriate form from the instructor, academic dean, campus dean or Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement & Success.
To Top of Page

Auditing Courses

A student may elect to audit a course or courses by checking the appropriate column on the Registration form. This option may only be selected during the official registration or drop/add period of each term. Those students who audit must meet the prerequisites of the course, receive no credit and do not have to take any examinations; otherwise, participation in class is on the same basis as a credit student. Except for senior citizens, the tuition and fees for auditing a class are the same as for a for-credit class. Senior citizens are eligible to audit one course per semester without payment of tuition, however they must pay student activity fees.

Note: No federal or state financial aid or veterans’ benefits are payable for audit courses.
To Top of Page

Collection of Social Security Numbers

Vance-Granville Community College is legally authorized to collect student social security numbers in order to comply with certain federal and state reporting requirements, and to meet the business imperatives of the College. Effective fall semester 2007, the college no longer uses student social security numbers as the primary method for student identification, but rather uses a unique computer generated ID number. Questions concerning the use of social security numbers should be directed to the Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement & Success.
To Top of Page

Course Load

A student’s normal load will be from 12 to 16 credit hours per term. Students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours will be considered full-time students. Students who wish to carry credit hour loads of more than 21 hours per term must obtain the written approval of their academic advisor and Academic Dean.
To Top of Page

Course Substitution

Under extenuating circumstances, a student may apply to his/her advisor for approval of a course substitution. A course substitution requires final approval by the appropriate Academic Dean and the Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement & Success. The completed Course Substitution form will be receipted by the Registrar’s Office and kept in the student’s file. A student in technical or vocational programs may take higher level courses than those required for graduation in his/her curriculum in the following areas: math, English, humanities, science, or social sciences, if prerequisites have been met.
To Top of Page


Written approval of the student is required before a transcript or any information from his/her official record may be released. Exceptions to the above include:

  1. The Admissions Office and Registrar’s Office may release information from official records to faculty and staff members of Vance-Granville Community College whose responsibilities require this
  2. The Admissions Office and Registrar’s Office may honor appropriate requests for directory-type information from student records. VGCC defines the following as directory:
    • Name
    • Program of Study
    • Address
    • Degrees and awards received
    • Dates of Enrollment
    • E-mail addresses
    • Participation in sanctioned campus activities or athletics
  3. The Solomon Amendment requires by federal law that the college release the following information, in addition to directory information, to military recruiters when requested:
    • Date of Birth
    • Telephone Number

Each student has the right to inspect or review the educational records maintained by the College that are directly related to that student. Educational records include admission documents, registration documents, grades, and other supporting documents maintained by the College. Educational records also include tests, assignments, and grade calculations maintained by faculty.

All requests to inspect and review educational records shall be made by the student in writing to the Registrar with the exception of requests for tests, assignments, and grade calculations for specific courses. Those requests shall be made to the appropriate academic or campus dean. The College will comply within a reasonable time period not to exceed forty-five days after the request is made. It should be noted that some records such as tests, assignments, and grade calculations maintained by the faculty are only kept for a limited time and are not maintained permanently. Students may also request in writing to the Registrar to amend their educational record if they feel the record is in error. Such requests will be reviewed by the Registrar and Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement & Success, who will render a decision.

Students may file a written complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office regarding an alleged violation by the College to comply with requirements of FERPA. The Office’s address is Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave., S.W., Washington, DC 20202.
To Top of Page

Release of Information: Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

Vance-Granville Community College, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, releases no personal, identifiable information about students without the written approval from the student. Exceptions to this practice are those types of information defined by law as “directory information.”

The directory information may be published or made available without the consent of the student. However, any student not wishing any of these types of information released may request in writing to the Registrar’s Office that it not be released.
To Top of Page


An official record of all the student’s courses, credits, grades, official transcripts, and other relevant documentation is kept in the Admissions/Records Office. Students should review their transcript and grades through their myVGCC account (student portal) at the end of each semester to be sure that it is accurate.
To Top of Page


Official and unofficial transcripts of a student’s record will be released only with the written authorization of the student. A $5.00 fee will be charged for each official transcript. Unofficial transcripts are provided free of charge. No transcript will be issued until all financial obligations to VGCC have been satisfied.

Current and former VGCC students enrolled after 1985 may request curriculum transcripts to be mailed or emailed as an electronic pdf online through the National Clearinghouse at https://tsorder.studentclearinghouse.org/ . GED and Adult High School transcripts are not eligible for this service. Online transcript requests made through the National Clearinghouse will include additional service fees. Official transcript request forms are available at any campus location or online at https://www.vgcc.edu/student-portal/transcript-requests .

Transcripts received by VGCC from other secondary or post-secondary institutions cannot be released to the student.
To Top of Page