Veterans, Military, and Military Families

Vance-Granville Community College is committed to serving veterans, active-duty service members and military families. Please visit the financial aid office located on Main Campus, building 8, room 8212 or email us at for additional information regarding these services.

VA Forms, Benefits Requirements, Resources, and VA Agency Locations

VA Educational Benefit Types

The Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs if you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty.

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) can help. This program—also known as Chapter 31 or VR&E—helps you explore employment options and address education or training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits. Tuition and fees are paid directly to the college.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33). Find out if you can get this education benefit. Tuition and fees paid directly to the college.

If you’re the child or surviving spouse of a Veteran or service member who has died, is captured or missing, or has a service-connected disability, you may be eligible for DEA—also called Chapter 35.

The 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) program offers up to 36 months of education and training benefits. If you’re a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps or Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, you may be eligible for this benefit.

Vance-Granville Community College will not prohibit or penalize any student veteran who is receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits (Chapter 33) from attending and/or participating in courses while awaiting tuition payment of VA benefits. If a student veteran or veteran’s dependent is determined to be eligible for Post 9/11 benefits, VGCC will “hold” the student provided to prevent removal from class for non-payment provided all required documentation has been submitted to the financial aid office. Additionally, Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31) and Tuition Assistance students (with approval letters on file) will have their tuition cost paid for by the respective entity sponsoring the student. All other GI Bill® chapters and veteran programs are responsible for paying their tuition cost by the college’s published payment deadline.

*Note: Apply for North Carolina National Guard Tuition Assistance

Eligibility and How to Apply

Find out if you Qualify for one of the educational benefits listed above.

Once you have been deemed eligible for VA Education Benefits, follow the steps below.

Step 1: Apply to VGCC

Apply to VGCC by completing the Admissions Application Process

Step 2: Submit VA Documents

Submit the following VA Eligibility Documents to the School Certifying Official

  • DD-214 (Veterans Only)
  • Certificate of Eligibility
  • Copy of NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) (For Reservists Only)
  • Official High School Transcript
  • Official College Transcript(s)

Step 3: Request Certification of Courses

Upon acceptance into VGCC and all transcripts are received and evaluated for credit, the student must:

The VA Certifying Official at Vance-Granville Community College will submit Enrollment Certification during the first week of classes after the (no earlier than 120 days before the semester start date).

Step 4: Enrollment Verification

  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 students are required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month by one of the following processes:
    1. Call toll-free 1 (877) 823-2378 or
    2. Visit the WAVE website for Web Automated Verification of Enrollment
  • Department of Defense (DoD) announced that they will no longer authorize Tuition Assistance for classes for which a member is also receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve program (chapter 1606 of title 10, United States Code).
  • Students using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) GI Bill Educational Benefits are required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month by one of the following processes:
    Via Text Message (Easiest and fastest method):

    1. To opt-in contact the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to ensure the VA has your mobile phone number.
    2. After opting-in, you can verify your enrollment by responding to a text message from the VA.
    3. NOTE: the VA will never ask for your personal information, for example, social security number or bank account numbers via text.

    Or Via Education Call Center:

    1. Contact the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and ask the representative to verify enrollment on your behalf.
    2. NOTE: Wait times may be high due the number of students verifying each month.
    3. If you opt-out of text verification and later change your mind, or need to change your mobile number, call the ECC at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
  • Students using Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606 GI Bill Educational Benefits are required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month by one of the following processes:
    Verify by using one of the methods below:

      1. Call toll-free 1-877-823-2378 or
      2. Visit the WAVE website for Web Automated Verification Enrollment

    If you fail to verify your information for two consecutive months, your monthly payments will be placed on hold. You will then have to take additional steps to verify your enrollment and in order to have the payments released.

Schedule an Appointment

Video chat with Veterans Services on Cranium Cafe

Trademark Attribution Notice: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

MAIN CAMPUS - Henderson
(252) 738-3280