Veterans Educational Assistance
The Department of Veterans Affairs offers educational assistance to veterans who contributed towards their education while on active duty; and attend an eligible institution for the Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits for all chapters of the GI Bill® .
For information related to VA Educational Assistance forms, benefit requirements, helpful websites, and local agency contacts, please view: Veterans Administration – Miscellaneous Information
|Chapter||Chapter Name||Duty Funds Requirements||Funds Payable To||Benefit Timeframe|
|30||Montgomery GI Bill®||Active Duty Since 7/1/1985||Student||36 months|
|33||Post-9/11 GI Bill®||Aggregate Active Duty Since 9/11/2001||School||36 months|
|35||Survivors and Dependents (DEA)||N/A||Student||45 months|
|1606||Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve||Six year commitment after 6/30/1985||Student||36 months within 10 years|
|1607||Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)||Consecutive Active Duty Since 9/11/2001||Student||30 months within 10 years|
Vance-Granville Community College will not prohibit or penalize any student veteran who is receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits (Chapter 33) from attending and/or participating in courses while awaiting tuition payment of VA benefits. If a student veteran or veteran’s dependent is determined to be eligible for Post 9/11 benefits, VGCC will “hold” the student for up to 90 days to prevent removal from class for non-payment. Additionally, Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) and Tuition Assistance students (with approval letters on file) will have their tuition cost paid for by the respective entity sponsoring the student. All other GI Bill® chapters and veteran programs are responsible for paying their tuition cost by the college’s published payment deadline.
*Note: Students can apply for North Carolina National Guard tuition assistance at https://nc.ng.mil/ESO/Pages/NCTAP.aspx .
- Montgomery GI Bill® – Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 students are required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month by one of the following processes:
- Call toll-free 1 (877) 823-2378 or
- Visit the WAVE website for Web Automated Verification of Enrollment
- Department of Defense (DoD) announced that they will no longer authorize Tuition Assistance for classes for which a member is also receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve program (chapter 1606 of title 10, United States Code).
- Students using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) GI Bill Educational Benefits are required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month by one of the following processes:
Via Text Message (Easiest and fastest method):
- To opt-in contact the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to ensure the VA has your mobile phone number.
- After opting-in, you can verify your enrollment by responding to a text message from the VA.
- NOTE: the VA will never ask for your personal information, for example, social security number or bank account numbers via text.
Or Via Education Call Center:
- Contact the Education Call Center (ECC) at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and ask the representative to verify enrollment on your behalf.
- NOTE: Wait times may be high due the number of students verifying each month.
- If you opt-out of text verification and later change your mind, or need to change your mobile number, call the ECC at 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).
- Students using Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 or Chapter 1607 GI Bill Educational Benefits are required to verify their enrollment at the end of each month by one of the following processes:
Verify by using one of the methods below:
- Call toll-free 1-877-823-2378 or
- Visit the WAVE website for Web Automated Verification Enrollment
If you fail to verify your information for two consecutive months, your monthly payments will be placed on hold. You will then have to take additional steps to verify your enrollment and in order to have the payments released.
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) has launched an innovative new GI Bill® Comparison Tool designed to make it easier for Veterans to calculate their Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits and learn more about colleges, universities and other education and training programs across the country. The GI Bill® Comparison Tool is designed to enable student Veterans and their families to compare education options and make informed choices that will help them reach their educational goals and find a good job.
For additional information, please contact the VGCC Financial Aid Office at (252)738-3280 or VA@VGCC.EDU or the VA at 1 (888) GIBILL-1 or 1 (888) 442-4551.
Schedule an AppointmentVideo chat with Veterans Services on Cranium Cafe
Trademark Attribution Notice: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill .