How to Apply for Aid with FAFSA

Financial aid is funds provided to students and their families to help pay for postsecondary educational expenses such as tuition, fees, books, supplies, etc. The basic sources of aid are grants, scholarships, employment and loans.  Students and their parent(s), if considered dependent, are considered the primary sources of funding for these costs.  Financial aid is intended to fill the gaps where students and their parent(s) might fall short in paying for college. Please view the steps below on how to apply for financial aid.

Step 1: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

**Individuals who are required to file a 1040/1040A/1040EZ tax return should do so prior to completing the FAFSA.

FAFSA Information

The FAFSA must be filed online each academic (school) year. Students should file early to prevent a delay in the application process.

By calling 1-800-433-3243, students may request a paper FAFSA.  There is no charge to complete the FAFSA.  The first “F” in FAFSA stands for FREE!

  • Vance-Granville Community College School Code:  009903
  • Students and parents may request an IRS transcript of their tax return.  The request is free and may be submitted online, by fax or by mail.  Please click one of the following options to request an IRS tax transcript:
  • Allow 2 to 3 weeks for the application process if submitted electronically and 3 to 4 weeks if mailed. However, the application process may take as long as 4 to 6 weeks during peak application periods prior to the beginning of each term.
  • Applicants will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Central Processing System. Review the provided information to ensure accuracy. Information from the Central Processing System does not guarantee aid eligibility.

Step 2:  Check your VGCC email account for additional information

  • Once VGCC receives your FAFSA, an email notification will be sent to you, the applicant.  This email will let you know what additional documentation is needed to complete your file as well as any important information regarding your aid application.
  • Check your  myVGCC account.  Any documents requested or received will be posted to My Documents, under the Students menu, in your myVGCC account.

Step 3:  Check your Financial Aid Status

  • When your request for aid is processed, an award notification will be sent to your VGCC email account.
  • In addition, you may check your status on myVGCC.  If all documents are marked “Received” or “Waived” for the academic year, your file is complete and aid is being awarded, if eligible.
  • View your Offer Letter in myVGCC, by clicking on the three bars in the upper left corner, then “Financial Information”, “Financial Aid”, “Award Letter”, then select the award year.

Additional Information

  • To be eligible for aid, students must:
    • Demonstrate financial need
    • Be enrolled in an eligible program of study at a participating educational institution
    • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen – Students who are on a temporary or student visa are not eligible for federal student aid.
    • Have a valid Social Security number
    • High School Diploma, High School Equivalency (formerly known as the General Education Development Certificate), Adult High School Certificate, or Home School Training
    • Must not be in default on a guaranteed student loan or have any overpayments of Title IV grants
    • Maintain Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) toward completion of academic program

Independent vs. Dependent

Please answer the questions on the FAFSA accurately and you will be notified if you are required to submit contributor information.

You are Independent if you are:

  • At least 24 years old by December 31 of the award year
  • Married
  • Are an orphan, ward/dependent of court, in foster care or both parents are deceased since turning 13 years old
  • Veteran of U.S. Armed Forces or currently serving on active duty
  • Emancipated minor or in legal guardianship as determined by a court in the student’s state of legal residence
  • Have children who receive more than half of their financial support from the student
  • Have legal dependents other than spouse who receive more than half of their financial support from the student
  • Determined to be an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or at risk of being homeless at any time on or after July 1, 2023 as determined by the high school or district homeless liaison, director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, or director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center
    • Students who are homeless or at risk of being homeless are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss their situation.


Documentation may be requested to verify your independent status.  If you do not meet the above criteria, you will be considered a dependent student, and parent information will be required. This information will be required regardless of whether or not you live with your parents. If one has children or legal dependents, documentation of a sufficient source of income will be requested to be considered an independent student. Otherwise, the student will be considered dependent, and parent information will be required

MAIN CAMPUS - Henderson
(252) 738-3280