Renewal 2020 Strategic Plan
Vance-Granville Community College educates, inspires, and supports a diverse community of learners to achieve professional and personal success.
Vance-Granville Community College will be a catalyst in developing strong communities where everyone experiences a fulfilling quality of life.
TEACHING and LEARNING – We value learning for all, providing quality instruction in a supportive environment aligned with community and workforce needs of today and tomorrow.
- A “culture of student success” is embodied in the way we engage, teach, advise, and administer policy to students
- Professional development in excellent teaching is provided and embraced. Innovation in teaching and learning is encouraged
- Measuring and monitoring student success allows us to continuously refine and improve our craft and process to ensure equitable student outcomes
RESPECT – We value a climate where employees, students, and community members feel accepted and meaningfully involved in a common cause. We recognize that we are interdependent and will demonstrate respect for one another.
- Conflict is viewed as an opportunity to find a constructive solution that helps all to succeed
- Genuine interest and care are shown to our co-workers and students
- Everyone is accountable at VGCC for success
- We acknowledge, celebrate, and give credit where it is due
COMMUNITY – We value positive and supportive relationships among the faculty, staff, and students. We strive to be a proactive partner in our community.
- We provide access to higher education for our communities. VGCC is a place where everyone is welcome
- We proactively seek to understand each other, our students, and our community in the fulfillment of our mission
- We consider the impact our decisions have on each other, our students, and our community
- Diversity is celebrated and inclusion is practiced
COMMUNICATION – We value decision making through broad-based, respectful team work and effective dialog
- Our communication is genuine and transparent
- We communicate by being totally honest and totally kind
- Follow-through is an important part of communicating
- Different audiences may need different levels and types of communication
Economic Development and Partnerships
Developing new and enhancing existing partnerships to strengthen workforce retraining and development, and providing additional pathways for higher education.
- 1.1 – Implementing short-term workforce development programs to build a strong base and prepare tomorrow’s workforce.
- 1.2 – Developing additional centers throughout our service area to offer educational opportunities for all residents.
- 1.3 – Constructing new transfer pathways and opportunities for students to streamline education beyond Vance-Granville.
- 1.4 – Enhancing existing K-12 partnerships to prepare students for work after graduation.
Teaching and Learning
Facilitating student success by incorporating professional development for faculty and supporting our students with intentional strategies.
- 2.1 – Ensuring that all students have equity in learning outcomes and support services.
- 2.2 – Structuring programs and schedules for efficient completion.
- 2.3 – Fostering quality instruction through faculty support and resources.
- 2.4 – Establishing and enhancing student services that support improved access, retention, success and completion.
Employee Culture and Innovation
Supporting employees to enhance their growth, development, and experience leading to employee retention.
- 3.1 – Providing opportunities for internal collaboration to increase awareness to all employees on college matters.
- 3.2 – Improving processes and technology that facilitate an environment of continuous improvement.
- 3.3 – Enhancing the quality and consistency of services and resources to strengthen employee support.
Communicating and securing outside resources allowing VGCC to prosper now and in the future.
- 4.1 – Enhancing our external communications to build our foundation for the future.
- 4.2 – Securing additional resources to bolster, build, and extend workforce capacity.
- 4.3 – Cultivating the Vance-Granville brand through marketing, communications, and student results.
- 4.4 – Maintaining financial integrity with all avenues of budgeting.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees on January 27, 2020.
VGCC Board of Trustees defines equity as the intentional process and practice to ensure that each student, faculty and staff member receives the support necessary to achieve their full potential.
The Vance-Granville Community College Board of Trustees acknowledges and renounces systems that selectively advantage and/or disadvantage members of our four-campus college family and our community at large.
We promise to advocate for equity that culminates in equality.
We commit to leading the transformation of systems internal to the college so they support equity for all students, faculty, and staff through assessment, reflection, and engagement.
We pledge to partner with those in our community who work to build equitable systems and/or transform inequitable systems into those characterized by equity.
We strive to ensure that every person of every social or cultural perspective has the best possible opportunity to succeed.
Everyone matters and belongs at VGCC.