Applications are now available for students wishing to pursue candidacy for the 2019-2020 SGA Executive Committee.
- Information about the duties of each officer's position are covered in the SGA Officer Duties.
- Completed applications must be submitted by March 10.
- The election will be held online, March 18 - 31.
- Questions? Contact Jermiel Hargrove @ firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Student Government Association (SGA)?
The Vance-Granville Community College “Student Government Association” (SGA) serves as the official student voice of the VGCC student body. The SGA encompasses all students currently enrolled at VGCC: anyone taking at least one class at VGCC is an SGA member. The Student Government Association is designed to promote the general welfare of the college in a democratic fashion and to facilitate communication among the student body, the faculty, and the administration. Student government provides a means through which students can promote interest in student activities both on and off campus. To this end, new leaders are elected from and by the general student populace each Spring semester. Meetings are held in Building 8 Conference Room.
In order to qualify for an elected position, a student must:
- Be in good academic standing.
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- Be enrolled in at least 6 credits at the time of the election.
How many members are elected to the Student Government Association?
There are a total of 5 members of the SGA Executive Committee:
- Vice President
- Social Media Officer
- Lead Campus Senators
What are the benefits of being an SGA member?
Below are the top five reasons we feel that students should run for an Executive Board position:
- “I heard it first…”– everyone loves being the first to know the gossip. When the administration is considering a major change, the Executive Board is usually the first group they consult with.
- Being at the forefront of creating change– the Executive Board is elected to serve the student body and address its concerns, and some of the major areas of concern it has addressed in the past on behalf of the student body are recycling, wireless connectivity, serving as student representatives during grievance hearings, and more!
- Resume building- the skills acquired while being an Executive Board member are unmatched and invaluable, and involvement in the community speaks volumes to future employers about your character.
- Creativity outlet– each position allows for the opportunity to get your creative juices flowing! Whether it is changing social media efforts, planning with new and exciting events / trips, or serving the community, there will always be opportunity for improvement and change each year.
- SGA Benefits- Have you seen the fancy new logo yet? What about the official nametags? Did I mention, you’ll also attend a number of conferences to engage with Student Government members from around the state?
For more information about becoming involved in the SGA, please contact:
Office of Student Activities and Athletics
Above: VGCC Student Government Association officers for 2018-19.