The following are suggestions and tips for students and employees of Vance-Granville Community College.
When working in academic buildings:
- Avoid working or studying alone at night in building.
- Keep work area door locked if possible.
- Note the location of the nearest telephone and fire extinguisher in case of an emergency.
- Avoid isolated areas and poorly lighted areas that are not in constant use, such as back parking lots.
- Be aware of your personal surroundings and report any suspicious activity and persons to security.
To protect your vehicle:
- Always lock your car and take the keys with you.
- Lock valuables in your trunk.
- Do not keep important items out in plain sight.
- Park in well-lighted areas.
When you drive and park:
- Fire lanes must be kept open for emergency vehicles.
- "Handicap" parking is reserved for vehicles displaying proper sticker or license plate.
- "Visitor" parking is for off-campus visitors only.
- "Staff/Faculty" parking is reserved for those employees during posted times.
- Be aware of pedestrians in parking lots and crosswalks. Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- To increase your security on campus grounds avoid isolated areas and try to travel with a trusted friend.
- Know the location of fire alarms and evacuation routes. Never use an elevator during fire or fire alarm. If stairwell is filled with smoke try and find an alternate route out of building.
- Use caution when traveling or walking of asphalt and concrete surfaces. They may get icy with little precipitation.
- If you are assaulted-yell for help and do not stop until someone arrives.
- If you witness an assault notify someone immediately and wait until security or law enforcement arrives. Try and give them an accurate description of subject.