State Authorization

Vance-Granville Community College provides educational opportunities through online programs/courses. Distance education courses are available to students both in state and out-of-state. The amended Higher Education Opportunity Act - 2008 includes changes to the State Authorization regulations. State Authorization requires colleges offering courses to out-of-state residents comply with each state’s requirements for distance courses. To be compliant, VGCC must secure authorization from a student’s home state before allowing the student to enroll in online courses.

"If an institution is offering postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering distance or correspondence education in that State.” (Chapter 34, §600.9(c) Higher Education Opportunity Act)

VGCC is currently authorized through the Southern Regional Educational Board (SREB) reciprocity agreement or authorization is not required to offer online courses to students in the following states:

SREB States

The student complaint process for each state is linked in the list below.

  1. Alabama
  2. Arkansas
  3. Delaware
  4. Florida
  5. Georgia
  6. Kentucky
  7. Louisiana
  8. Maryland
  9. Mississippi
  10. North Carolina
  11. Oklahoma
  12. South Carolina
  13. Tennessee
  14. Texas
  15. Virginia
  16. West Virginia

VGCC is currently authorized to operate in, or authorization is not required in the following states: 

  1. Arizona
  2. Colorado
  3. Connecticut
  4. District of Columbia
  5. Hawaii - Does not have a student complaint process
  6. Idaho*
  7. Illinois*
  8. Iowa
  9. Kansas
  10. Maine*
  11. Massachusetts
  12. Michigan
  13. Montana
  14. Nebraska
  15. Nevada
  16. New Hampshire*
  17. New Jersey - Does not have a student complaint process
  18. New Mexico
  19. New York
  20. Ohio
  21. Rhode Island
  22. South Dakota
  23. Utah
  24. Vermont
  25. Washington
  26. Wisconsin

The Director of Distance Education will be the point of contact for coordination efforts of securing state authorization from any states not included in the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) reciprocity agreement.

If you wish to take courses at VGCC and do not see your state listed here please contact Evelyn Harris by phone 252-738-3257 or email

Electronic Campus Logo

VGCC participates in the Electronic Campus.


For further information on State Authorization:

Higher Education Opportunity Act - 2008

Directory of State Authorization Agencies and Lead Contacts SHEEO – May 2013

North Carolina Community College System Virtual Learning Community
Vance-Granville Community College will maintain information necessary for student complaints in all states represented by the SREB reciprocity agreement and for any other states as needed.

Student Complaints and Grievances

Students of Vance-Granville Community College should attempt to resolve all issues and complaints with the college by following the General Student Grievance Procedure located in the College Catalog on page 86The point of contact for student grievances at VGCC is the Dean of Students.

However if an issue cannot be resolved internally you may file a complaint with your State AgencyPlease try to resolve any complaints with the college before going to any outside agency.


Vance-Granville is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Commission on Colleges:
Phone: (404) 679-4500 extension 4504
Fax: (404) 679-4558

*Idaho Complaint process described in Admin Rule (July 1, 2011) section 500. Forms and instructions
available upon request from the State Coordinator for Private Colleges & Proprietary Schools.
For more information, please contact the Office of the Idaho State Board of Education (Main
Office: 208‐334‐2270).

*Illinois Institutional Complaint Hotline: (217) 557‐7359. The Board receives general information email
at Students seeking to register a complaint about an institution are required to
submit the complaint in writing. Complaint processing as relates to maintenance of
institutional approvals is described in 23 Illinois Administrative Rules Sections 1030.70 and

*Maine Complaints shall be addressed in writing to the Maine Department of Education, Office of
Higher Education, Augusta, Maine, 04333, with specific facts and allegations and signed by the
complainant. The school shall be notified of any complaints which are to be investigated.

*New Hampshire Postsecondary Education Commission

Telephone: (603) 271-3494


Return to top