Nurse Aide II
Search for scholarship options.
View schedules and register for courses.
Log into Moodle for access to online classes.
This course prepares CNA’s to perform at a more complex skill level when attending to patients or residents regardless of the setting. A skill/competency evaluation is required for documenting student competency. This course includes class, laboratory, and clinical learning experiences. The graduate is eligible to apply for listing on the NC Board of Nursing Nurse Aide II Registry.
This course is comprised of 181 hours and offered in seated format. Class days and times vary. Clinical rotation days and hours vary.
*Students are required to complete Healthcare Career Readiness, an 18-hour course that focuses on employability skills such as job readiness training, resume building, interviewing, communication, career exploration, and stress management. The cost for this course will be covered with a tuition waiver or scholarship funds, for those who qualify.
- High School Diploma (or equivalent diploma)
- Proof you have been on Nurse Aide Registry listing or proof of satisfactory completion of recent NC state approved NAI program
- $180 + fees
- Clinical Uniform: $30-40, depending upon size.
- Watch with a second hand: $15 (approximately)
- Background Check: $45.00
- Drug Screen: $47.00 (approximately)
- A $28 clinical fee may be charged by some clinical sites.
*Costs are subject to change.
Title: Advanced Skills for Healthcare Providers by Acello
Cost: $101.00 + tax $6.82, Total $107.82
Textbook can be purchased at the VGCC Bookstores on the Main Campus or online at the VGCC Bookstore website .
- Black uniform (scrub) top and black uniform (scrub) pants
- White or black shoes, closed heel and closed toe
- Clean fingernail of fingertip length or shorter, without polish or acrylic
- Tattoos must be covered.
- The only body piercing jewelry allowed is one pair of stud earrings. Stud earrings are to be worn in the earlobes only.
- Unnatural colored hair is not allowed. For example, blue, purple, green (or any sprayed-in hair color or hair chalk) is not allowed.
Individual clinical sites have different requirements regarding immunizations. On the first day of class, your instructor will tell you what immunizations and/or vaccinations are needed and whether or not drug screen and background screening is needed. All students must have an annual flu shot for classed scheduled October-March.
Depending upon the class or the clinical site you attend you may be asked to produce immunization verification for one or more of the following immunizations:
- Two-Step TB Skin Test
- Hepatitis B vaccination
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella)
If the Hepatitis B, Varicella, or MMR vaccinations are greater than 10 years old, students must provide proof of immunity via titers. All immunization verifications must be given to the instructor within 14 days of the first day of class to assure acceptance into the clinical setting.
Background Check and Drug Screen
On the first day of class your instructor will tell you if a drug screen is required for the clinical site you will be attending. He/She will give you all the information you need to complete the drug screen.
Background checks are required in all healthcare programs that have a clinical rotation. If a background check is required, your instructor will give you all the information you need to complete the background check. Background checks must be done through MYB . Background checks from other sources WILL NOT be accepted.
Student Online Background Check/Drug Screen Request Procedure
- Go to the MYB website to complete your background check/Drug Screen Request
- The cost of a background check is $35.00
- The cost for a 12 Panel Drug Screen is $47.
- Complete the background check during the first week of class to ensure that you will be accepted into the clinical rotation for your class.
All healthcare program students are approved by the clinical sites. The clinical site bases student acceptance or denial on background check information.
First Day of Class
Required Documents: Instructor must verify documents before student is officially enrolled in the class.
- Copy of High School Diploma or GED
- Copy of NC Nurse Aide I Registry listing
- Supplies: Textbook (see “Textbook” section), pens, pencils, and notebook.