Student Complaint Process

As a student or visitor, you have the right to file a formal complaint with Vance-Granville Community College. Students are encouraged to resolve complaints at the appropriate level of dispute (instructor, program head, college administrator); however, should this approach fail or if you feel that you need further intervention, students may submit written complaints through various avenues depending on the issue(s).

VGCC’s College Catalog provides students with more information regarding the student grievance process for the following:

Academic-Related Complaints

If you would like to submit a complaint regarding an academic-related issue such as but are not limited to attendance policies, grades, program admission or dismissal, please submit your complaint at: Academic Grievance/Grade Appeals Procedure

Non-Academic Related Complaints (Anti-Discrimination Policy)

Vance-Granville Community College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action institution. The Board of Trustees, administration, faculty, and staff of Vance-Granville Community College will not discriminate against any student or visitor because of race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, or disabling condition. If you believe that you have a complaint pertaining to discrimination based on protected class, please submit your information through the General Student Grievance Form . For more information about the process, visit the General Grievance Page .

Title IX/Sexual Misconduct Complaints

Vance Granville Community College deems sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, and sexual discrimination in all forms to be serious offenses. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX) prohibits discrimination based on sex in education programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance. Students can report sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation here: Title IX Form . For more information about the process, visit the Title IX Page .

You must exhaust all opportunities for resolution with the appropriate person(s) and processes at VGCC before filing a complaint with the Office of Post-Secondary Education Complaints. If you feel that your issue has not been resolved by the college, please contact The UNC System Post-Secondary Complaints Office using the following form: Office of Post-Secondary Education Complaints.