Home College Catalog Records


Under construction caution sign

This page is currently under construction. Please visit www.vgcc.edu/catalog/ for the current VGCC College Catalog.

Release of Information
Student Records
Transcript Request


Release of Information

Written approval of the student is required before a transcript or any information from his/her official record may be released. Exceptions to the above include:

  1. The Admissions/Records Office and Registrar’s Office may release information from official records to faculty and staff members of Vance-Granville Community College whose responsibilities require this
  2. The Admissions/Records Office and Registrar’s Office may honor appropriate requests for directory-type information from student records. VGCC defines the following as directory:
    • Name 
    • Program of Study
    • Address 
    • Degrees and awards received
    • Dates of Enrollment 
    • E-mail addresses
    • Participation in sanctioned campus activities or athletics
  3. The Solomon Amendment requires by federal law that the college release the following information, in addition to directory information, to military recruiters when requested:
    • Date of Birth
    • Telephone Number

Each student has the right to inspect or review the educational records maintained by the College that are directly related to that student. Educational records include admission documents, registration documents, grades, and other supporting documents maintained by the College. Educational records also include tests, assignments, and grade calculations maintained by faculty.

All requests to inspect and review educational records shall be made by the student in writing to the Registrar with the exception of requests for tests, assignments, and grade calculations for specific courses. Those requests shall be made to the appropriate academic or campus dean. The College will comply within a reasonable time period not to exceed forty-five days after the request is made. It should be noted that some records such as tests, assignments, and grade calculations maintained by the faculty are only kept for a limited time and are not maintained permanently. Students may also request in writing to the Registrar to amend their educational record if they feel the record is in error. Such requests will be reviewed by the Registrar and Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement & Success, who will render a decision.

Students may file a written complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office regarding an alleged violation by the College to comply with requirements of FERPA. The Office’s address is Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Ave., S.W., Washington, DC 20202.

To Top of Page


Release of Information: Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA)

Vance-Granville Community College, in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, releases no personal, identifiable information about students without the written approval from the student. Exceptions to this practice are those types of information defined by law as “directory information.”

The directory information may be published or made available without the consent of the student. However, any student not wishing any of these types of information released may request in writing to the Registrar’s Office that it not be released.

To Top of Page


Student Records

An official record of all the student’s courses, credits, grades, official transcripts, and other relevant documentation is kept in the Admissions/Records Office. Each student should maintain a record of courses, credits, and grades each term and periodically check to see that his/her records agree with that of the College.

To Top of Page


Transcript Request

Official and unofficial transcripts of a student’s record will be released only with the written authorization of the student. A $5.00 fee will be charged for each official transcript. Unofficial transcripts are provided free of charge. No transcript will be issued until all financial obligations to VGCC have been satisfied.

Current and former VGCC students enrolled after 1985 may request transcripts to be mailed or emailed as an electronic pdf online through the National Clearinghouse at https://tsorder.studentclearinghouse.org/ . GED and Adult High School transcripts are not eligible for this service. Online transcript requests made through the National Clearinghouse will include additional service fees. Official transcript request forms are available at any campus location or online at https://www.vgcc.edu/student-portal/transcript-requests . Transcripts may be picked up at the Admissions/Records Office in Building 8, on the Main Campus. A picture ID is required when picking up transcripts. A transcript request form should be submitted to the Admissions/Records Office or emailed to records@vgcc.edu a minimum of three business days prior to the time a student wants their transcript mailed.

Transcripts received by VGCC from other secondary or post-secondary institutions cannot be released to the student.

To Top of Page