Vance-Granville’s 2023 ADN Graduates Honored in Pinning Ceremony
On the evening of May 10, Vance-Granville Community College held a pinning ceremony for its Associate Degree Nursing Class of 2023. The ceremony at the Main Campus Civic Center celebrated the 45 graduates of the program along with their family and friends.
The ceremony was opened by Dr. Anna R. Seaman, ADN Program Head, followed by welcoming reflections from Dr. Kim Sepich, Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement, & Success, CAO. Cortney Ragan, 2021 ADN graduate and former class president, addressed the class from the perspective of a recent graduate.
Next, nursing instructor Jamie Davis presented cords to students who participated in the VGCC Student Nurses Association. Davis also recognized students graduating with honors (a GPA of 3.5 or higher): Ashley Allen, Mariama Boye, Eunice Mwicigi, and Henry Nkenchor. Sierra Lewter was recognized as the graduate with the highest program-specific GPA.
Nursing instructor Kassie Felts shared the story of the VGCC Nursing Pin to the graduates and guests. Following the story, Davis announced each graduate, including their future plans related to job acceptance as a Registered Nurse and career/educational goals. As each name was announced, Dr. Seaman pinned the graduate with his or her nursing pin. After Brande McIlroy read the story of the nursing lamp origins, the graduates joined her to recite the Nursing Pledge (written by Beverly Hansen O’Malley, RN) by candlelight. Finally, Dr. Seaman presented the class as official graduates of VGCC’s ADN of 2023.
Most often associated with the nursing profession, pinning ceremonies serve to welcome Health Sciences students into their new professional community. The tradition of getting a token like a pin when starting a medical career can be traced back to the Middle Ages; the modern ceremony is modeled after one honoring Florence Nightingale in the 1860s.
Congratulations to the Associate Degree Nursing Class of 2023!
In the accompanying photo, the ADN Class of 2023 is pictured from left to right as follows:
- Front row: Eunice Mwicigi, Allyson Cabana, Robin Campbell, Shaina Brown, Cinquetta Addison, Sherry Bohn, Hannah Glasheen, and Erica Martin.
- Second row: Janet Mwanza, Jordan Enevoldsen, Allante’ Johnson, Maysaa Abdulfattah, Gwynn Abrigo, Heidi Fields, and Wendy Ferrell.
- Third row: Erica Jefferson, Ye’Chen Davis, Ashley Allen, Heather Turner, Ezinne Irona, and Alaya Finch.
- Fourth row: Britany Wilson, Brittny McFaddin, Tiffany Dalton, and Gabryela Rodriguez.
- Fifth row: Beverly Thorpe, Cynthia King, Calista Nwafor, Shea Rose, Devon Raynor, and Sierra Lewter.
- Sixth row: Deborah Tackie, Ulices Diaz, and Nallely Pina Perez.
- Top row: Mame Sy, Mariama Boye, and Angel Stokes.
Not pictured: Margaret Bailey, Steven Demertzis, Erin Harris, Henry Nkenchor, Garikayi Nyakudya, Christopher Raymond, Rosanny Reynoso, and Shereca Riggsbee.