Vision, Mission & Values
Vance-Granville Community College educates, inspires, and supports a diverse community of learners to achieve professional and personal success.
In partnership with our community, Vance-Granville Community College will lead the economic development of our region, be nationally-recognized for educational excellence, and improve our world through stewardship and sustainability.
TEACHING and LEARNING – We value learning for all, providing quality instruction in a supportive environment aligned with community and workforce needs of today and tomorrow.
- A “culture of student success” is embodied in the way we engage, teach, advise, and administer policy to students
- Professional development in excellent teaching is provided and embraced. Innovation in teaching and learning is encouraged
- Measuring and monitoring student success allows us to continuously refine and improve our craft and process to ensure equitable student outcomes
RESPECT – We value a climate where employees, students, and community members feel accepted and meaningfully involved in a common cause. We recognize that we are interdependent and will demonstrate respect for one another.
- Conflict is viewed as an opportunity to find a constructive solution that helps all to succeed
- Genuine interest and care are shown to our co-workers and students
- Everyone is accountable at VGCC for success
- We acknowledge, celebrate, and give credit where it is due
COMMUNITY – We value positive and supportive relationships among the faculty, staff, and students. We strive to be a proactive partner in our community.
- We provide access to higher education for our communities. VGCC is a place where everyone is welcome
- We proactively seek to understand each other, our students, and our community in the fulfillment of our mission
- We consider the impact our decisions have on each other, our students, and our community
- Diversity is celebrated and inclusion is practiced
COMMUNICATION – We value decision making through broad-based, respectful team work and effective dialog
- Our communication is genuine and transparent
- We communicate by being totally honest and totally kind
- Follow-through is an important part of communicating
- Different audiences may need different levels and types of communication
Educational Excellence from Access to Success
1.1 Increase student achievement through student-centered teaching.
1.2 Increase student completion through effective academic advising.
1.3 Facilitate college growth.
1.4 Cultivate a college-wide culture of support for a diverse community of learners.
1.5 Provide resources and experiences to empower students and prepare them for work or
An Organizational Cultureof Quality, Cooperation, and Engagement
2.1 Recruit and hire exceptional employees.
2.2 Retain qualified employees.
2.3 Foster participation in meaningful professional development opportunities.
2.4 Enhance open communication.
2.5 Develop a campus community valuing health, safety, and quality of life opportunities.
A Learning Community of Continuous Improvement
3.1 Develop a culture that prioritizes individualized service to students
3.2 Develop a culture of continuous quality improvement and best practices.
3.3 Institute leadership development that supports and empowers all employees.
One College Experience
4.1 – Enhance support services.
4.2 – Foster student and employee engagement in college life.
4.3 – Partner with community organizations to support the college mission.
4.4 – Improve, maintain, and utilize adequate technology.
Institutional Stewardship: Securing and Sustaining Our Resources
5.1 Secure new and innovative resources to support institutional goals.
5.2 Implement risk assessment and management at the college.
5.3 Advance environmentally-friendly practices at the college.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees on June 15, 2013.