Legal is a concentration under the curriculum title of Office Administration. This curriculum prepares individuals for entry-level positions in legal or government- related offices and provides professional development for the currently employed.
Course work includes terminology, operational procedures, preparation and transcription of documents, computer software, and court-related functions as they relate to the legal office profession. Emphasis is placed on the development of accuracy, organizational skills, discretion, and professionalism.
Graduates should qualify for employment in corporate legal departments; private practices, including real estate and estate planning; and city, state and federal government offices. With appropriate work experience, graduates may apply for certification as a Professional Legal Secretary (PLS).
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use a variety of office technology.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to identify and utilize the required skills and technical information necessary in assisting office administrators.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to produce a variety of business documents using correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling in an acceptable business format.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to utilize various records management methods in storing and retrieving information.
- Students will demonstrate knowledge of accepted ethical behavior and interpersonal skills that reflect an understanding of diversity and the need for teamwork.
- Students will demonstrate communication skills that include the ability to read, comprehend and analyze information; and to express ideas effectively through written and oral communications.
- Students will utilize critical thinking skills to solve problems and facilitate task and project completion.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of basic bookkeeping principles and computation skills for analyzing, recording and reporting financial data.
- Students will demonstrate a working knowledge of legal terminology for practical application in an administrative capacity in a legal office setting.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of legal office concepts and procedures.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of current legal ethical issues.
For More Information: Christal Swilley, Program Head