COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAM - PERSONAL ENRICHMENT
OFFICE HOURS: MONDAY, TUESDAY & THURSDAY 9AM - 3PM
ROOM # 7124
Here at Vance Granville Community College we offer a number of affordable, non-credit classes that allow attendees to explore their personal interest. The purpose of the Community Service Program is to provide a lifelong learning for adults to meet individual needs and interests and contribute to the community's overall cultural, civic, and intellectual growth.
We offer a non-competitive environment for students to choose as many classes as they would like. Coming 2015 Spring Semester:
Arts & Crafts
- NEW! Bob Ross on Wet Style Oil Painting Workshop - Create landscapes and seascapes using a Wet on Wet style of oil Painting made famous by PBS's Joy of Painting with Bob Ross.
- Painting (Creative Design) - This course is for all levels. Learn new techniques or define your personal style for original paintings using watercolors, oils, or acrylics.
- Portrait Painting - Learn oil techniques and methods to create your very own portrait painting. (All levels welcomed.)
- Dollmaking- Experience the joy of creating a wonderful ceramic doll masterpiece. Including painting and clothing the dolls
- Woodworking - Tune up your skills and learn how to select wood, use power and hand tools while making some shop improvements. Tools are provided, but not materials.
- Wire-Wrapping Jewelry - "Make It & Take It" come create three different pairs of wire-wrapped earrings and a wire-wrapped briolette necklace.
- Hand-Stamped Jewelry Mother's Day - "Make It & Take It" create a priceless piece of jewerly for your mother, grandmother or even yourself.
Home & Gardening
- Let's Have a Tea Party - It's more than a drink...it's TEA! Learn how to attend or host your very own English Tea party with class and style.
- NEW! Creative Floral Arrangements - Students learn how to choose flower containers, accessories as well as which flowers and plant materials are suitable for use in floral arrangements. Creative design techniques for table centerpieces will also be taught using fresh or silk flowers.
- NEW! Canning & Perserving (Spring/Summer) -Students will learn everything about the canning process and the various methods of canning and preserving. Just bring your favorite seasonal vegetables or fruits and get started from "Farm to table".
- Quilting (Hand Stitch) - If you ever wanted to make a quilt. Join this class to learn how to make a personalized quilt from start to finish. (Beginners & Advanced Welcomed)
- NEW! Basic Crocheting - Get started and learn how to select a hook and yarn, to attaching the yarn to the hook, to the most commonly used stitches, to reading a simple pattern, students will get comfortable with the craft of crochet.
- Motorcycle Safety - Grab life by the bars! This class was created for students with little or no experience, but even seasoned riders have found this class to be a benefit. Riders of all levels are welcome. We provide motorcycle for training. Helmets will be provided if necessary. Students need to wear: long pants, a long-sleeve shirt / jacket, boots that cover the ankles, full-fingered gloves, and eye protection such as sunglasses or a face shield on a helmet.
- Upping Afterschool Game -Enhance your afterschool care program. Learn and discuss core competencies based on research, as well as strategies that address relevant issues and challenges. The training aims to help both new and experienced afterschool administrators and staff members.
- NEW! Getting Paid to Talk - Ever been told you have a great voice? From audio books and cartoons to documentaries, commericals, and more, this class will introduce you to the growing field of voice overs. Learn what the pros look for, how to prepare, and where to find work in your area!
- High School Equivalency in Spanish - Students in the class will prepare for tests focused on basic skills. Passing the High School Equivalency tests certifies that the test-taker has skills at the high school academic level.
Register Now before classes fill up!